We hope you'll plan to join us for the fifth year of this highly-rated event. Bring a group from your school - past teams who have attended together found it to be very useful.
This enriching opportunity on relational and personal leadership is for independent school administrators who supervise adults, evaluate teachers, and/or work with parents. This program is designed for division heads, directors, and other administration who are not heads of school. It focuses specifically on the challenges of these roles. Featuring Rob Evans and Michael Thompson.
June 15-17, 2016
Emory Conference Center & Hotel | 1615 Clifton Rd | Atlanta, GA 30329
Meeting Room: Starvine (South Wing)
| SAIS Member School
| Non-Member School
|Through May 15
|May 15 - June 8
|After June 8
Emory Conference Center hotel reservations may be made prior to May 25 by phone at 1-800-933-6679 under the group name "SAIS" or online. The room rate is $169/night plus applicable taxes and fees.
Check-in time is 4:00 PM. Check-out time is 12:00 PM. Your room may be ready early on Wednesday when you arrive. If not, feel free to bring your bags with you to the meeting room.
Hartsfield Jackson International Airport (airport code = ATL)
The Emory Conference Center & Hotel is located 30 minutes from the Atlanta airport (ATL). We recommend using a taxi, Uber/Lyft, or shuttle service:
MAPS & DIRECTIONS:
If you are driving, please see the hotel's maps & directions page.
Parking is complimentary for all participants. Please read below for details based on your lodging status.
- Lodging: If you are staying at Emory, please park in the garage that is located below the hotel on the far left side of the main entrance. Take a ticket when you enter. Your room key will allow access privileges to the parking garage.
- Non-Lodging: If you are a local participant, you may park in the garage below the hotel on the far left or in the South deck, which is on the right as you enter the hotel property. Please keep the parking ticket you receive upon entry. When you depart, you will enter that ticket followed by a chaser ticket that you will receive at the institute registration desk.
Your registration fee includes all meals beginning with Wednesday dinner and ending with Friday lunch. If you are a local participant and will not attend the dinners, please let us know in advance so we can adjust our meal counts.
There will be wireless internet available throughout the conference center.
Tweet us @SAISnews! The official Twitter hashtag is #saisALI. Be sure to tag us when tweeting your event experience.
PAST PARTICIPANT COMMENTS:
- I have been to a number of conferences but this ranks very high on my list. The hotel and accommodations, the quality of the program and speakers, and the overall friendly and professional atmosphere were wonderful. Instead of feeling careworn at the end of a rather stressful school year, I felt uplifted. Thank you so much.
- At the ALI, I found out that I am not alone in a very isolating role.
- I have attended many seminars in my career, and I can honestly say this has been one of the most meaningful. I feel like I've gained a real understanding of the humanity involved in effective leadership. Moreover, the two leaders were genuine, witty, and incredibly willing to share their expertise and ideas.
- I thought it was great. I would love to come back again, if only to feel renewed and reminded of the things I know after a tough year!
- I have been curriculum director for three years, and my title just changed to academic dean. Having moved into this position from the classroom, I learned my way as I went. This seminar was like an oasis, and it was wonderful to have my needs so directly met. I know teaching and academics inside and out, but am learning as I go regarding leading adults. If you offer another, I will attend again.
- I am grateful to have been able to spend several days with such a great group of educators. Michael and Rob have a wealth of knowledge that is grounded in research and their personal experience. They were interesting and easy to take in. I sincerely enjoyed the learning experience provided.
- The ALI allowed our admin team to learn and grow together and gave us things to think about as we begin a new school year.
- I have been in administration for 14 years. However, I just finished my first year as a division head. Not only was this conference tremendously helpful from an educational view, but I also regained my self-confidence and found reassurance in many of the difficult decisions that I had to make this year. I suffered from much self-doubt this year, but through validation, humor, and insight, Michael and Rob helped me reinvigorate myself for a new year.
- I found just about every minute of this conference valuable and illuminating. I hope to come back in a couple of years when I have a little bit of experience under my belt. I have a feeling that I will get just as much out of it then, too.
- The I think the networking was a key part of the institute for me. I'm new to my position and the region, so I really needed to meet other people in similar positions to mine. The topics covered in the workshop were all pertinent to my current and future needs, so the entire workshop will ultimately prove helpful to me
- The ALI was a fantastic three days of learning, connecting, and questioning.
- This conference exceeded my expectations in every way. The conference center was easy to navigate and a perfect setting for this event. The speakers had such expertise in their ability to speak, draw conclusions about situations, and interpret possible situations.
- So glad I attended! The single best conference I've attended in years.
- I am moving into my first year as an administrator starting July 1. An important moment for me was hearing that so many issues with "problem" parents stem from anxiety, and that you need to get beyond the surface to find the root of the anxiety beneath. That was a great "a-ha" moment and it will be really a helpful touchstone next year. It already has been in the two parent phone calls I've fielded since returning from the conference! I plan to always ask myself, "What is this parent really anxious about that they aren't saying to me outright?"
- This conference made networking and talking and sharing so easy and seamless. I credit our instructors for fostering this spirit by eating with us, listening to our concerns, and being the great leaders that we all aspire to be.
- The best thing for me was realizing that all of the struggles that I have faced as a division head this year are not unique. They are to be expected, and the way I have processed them and reacted to them is in line with what others have experienced. It was really great to learn that I was not alone. I walked away from the conference with specific techniques for successfully implementing change and dealing with challenging parents and teachers. Overall, and I think probably the most important thing, is that I left the conference feeling like I have knowledge and tools that will give me more confidence and thus the ability to be a stronger division head.
- This program helped me gain perspective regarding what administration looks like and the differing paths you can follow.
- I found each session applicable to my own experiences. I have attended many conferences and workshops where the speaker "preached to the choir" without ever getting around to solutions. I appreciated that there was some information given for the underlying problem/issue but possible solutions were also given. Like most administrators, my time is limited, but I know I have much to learn. I appreciated the practical, straightforward delivery.
- What a wonderful experience! Very meaningful and lots of laughs. Many many words of wisdom. Provided the perspective I needed and keys to understanding the dynamics I deal with every day. Gave me the tools I needed to be more effective in my work.
- I was really inspired by the session on managing change and have already made use of new ways of thinking about the meanings that are attached to change.
- Definitely continue with this institute. I consider it a huge success and do not know of anything else --especially at this time of the year -- that addresses the issues of administrators in the same way this one did. Thank you!
Regarding the speakers:
- Rob and Michael are a great team and play beautifully off of each other. They are acutely sensitive to their audience and are very honest in their language. They provide wonderful models for effective interpersonal communication. Also, they have a great way of explaining issues and experiences that everyone can relate to but that people might not have articulated for themselves.
- Words cannot express my admiration for Michael and Rob. I greatly appreciated how candid each were when talking and sharing - they spoke it how it is! So important. I also feel that they really balanced and complimented each other. It was easy to tell that they love what they do and enjoy doing this together. The presenters' passion was evident in every way and that makes what they shared even more powerful.
- Rob and Michael are a delight to be around; I have been with them at conferences before, but not exclusively for three days; they are professional, knowledgeable; have great balance with seriousness of purpose with appropriate sense of humor; both are highly relevant resources for any independent school administrator.
- Great thoughts and ideas were presented to us in such a fun and entertaining manner. It was a 5-star event in terms of information as well as presentation. I was never bored, always inspired!
- Michael and Rob worked together beautifully, wonderful counterpoints . . . bright, witty, engaging.
- I can't say enough positive things about both Rob and Michael. They are amazing presenters and are truly wise about the inner workings of independent schools. There was so much information that was completely relevant to what I have experienced this past year.
- They are top-notch. Accessible and approachable even though they are at the top of their field(s).
- Michael and Rob are the perfect balance of one another ... there was never a lull or boring moment. They are sincere, thoughtful, and witty. They provided me with affirmation for what I do as a division head while also providing me with the nudge to think bigger. I found them to be just the "shot in the arm" I needed this summer. I am energized and full of ideas, questions, and reflection!
Business casual (erring on the side of casual) is always safe with us. We want you to be comfortable. Be sure to bring a jacket or sweater in case you find the meeting room chilly. We tend to skew cooler rather than warmer.
If you require any special accommodations, please contact email@example.com.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 561-5841 with any questions about this event.
THE FINE PRINT:
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations received in writing to email@example.com 21 days prior to the event will be refunded less a 20% processing fee. After that date no refunds are available, but replacement registrants are welcomed.
to Use of Photo / Video / Audio: Registration, attendance at, or participation in SAIS meetings and other activities constitutes an agreement by the registrant to SAIS’s use and distribution (both now and in the future) of the registrant or attendee’s image or voice in photographs, videos, electronic reproductions, and audio of such events and activities.